Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My New Year's Revolution

I have an aversion to that 'r' word. I believe that word is used too loosely. Resolution has a flaky, waffly quality about it. It's a soft word, it even sounds wimpy.... like serendipity or redundancy. To acknowledge my goals as resolutions I may as well be saying 'things that sound nice ideally, but I'm not putting much stock in the idea of them actually happening'.

I gave a lot of thought to them last week. In light of my recent epiphany in regards to planning and goal-oriented forward thinking-ness, I came to the conclusion that less is more. I'm committing to doing more with less this year, in so many more ways than one.

Below is my edited list posted not so much as to impress my meager blog following, but more as an effort to hold myself accountable. They say writing down your goals is the first step in bringing them to fruition. Well if that's the first step, then proclaiming them for all your family, friends and otherwise to read and hold you to them should bring me a few strides closer than that. Without further ado, I present my list for 2010:

  1. Make some really great art with my little Rebel.

  2. Learn how to sew; specifically window treatments for the house and matching sundresses for Barbie and I to rock this summer.
  3. Finally have loosened hamstrings. All my life I have never been able to do this (this is the stuff that keeps me up at night, folks):
  4. Try to do something physical every day. (I hear those snickers... Oh that he would be THAT lucky!)

  5. Practice my interior re-design skills on a semi-professional level for friends and acquaintances with the intention of figuring out what to do with this God-given talent of mine.

  6. Pay off my credit card (note singular) EVERY. DAMN. MONTH. This implies spending less... but everyone says that on their resolutions, don't they?

  7. This one is omitted to protect the identities of the innocent.

  8. Ditto for this one.

    There you have it friends--my 2010 New Years Revolution. Happy new decade.

No comments: